Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Now for all the June stuff...

June was good. I can't remember anything that happened at the beginning, but towards the end we left for a vacation with all of Mike's family to the Oregon coast. Our original plan was to leave incredibly early on Friday morning and do the whole thing in one day (Mike wasn't as gung-ho with me on that one), but because of a health scare with my sister we ended up leaving Friday afternoon instead.

We stopped for lunch in Idaho Falls. Eleanor needed to nurse, so we just parked in a deserted parking lot facing the gorge and Mike took Mim for a walk to get some wiggles out.

Eleanor and I joined them at a scenic viewpoint, where we watched some base jumpers. We saw the first one go and Mike and I looked at each other- wondering if we had just watched someone commit suicide. Then the chute came out and we were both pretty relieved.

Pretty crazy. I could/would never do it; I'm 100% sure.

Both the girls were total champs for the drive. Mim got pretty whiny about two hours after her bedtime on the way to Boise, but then I remembered popcorn. Eleanor was 3 hours late to bed, but she just quietly sucked her thumb until right when we pulled up to our hotel for the night.

We got to the beach house late on Saturday. We went to church with everybody the next day and then took a walk down to the beach with Kati and Jon & co., which then turned into playing in the water.


Yeah, Eleanor loved the beach.
So did Mim; I could hardly get her to stand still for a picture, much less actually look at me.

We stayed in Kati and Jon's beach house and it had a BEAUTIFUL view. It was gorgeous. Stuff like this every night:

I missed this day trip, because all the missed sleep was really catching up to Eleanor and making her a cranky baby. I stayed home while she slept and Mike and Mim went with everybody to the Clatsop Fort (one of Lewis and Clark's). Apparently Mim was a big fan of these stuffed birds that call/sing/quack when you push on them; here she is trying to hold all of them.

Tidepool day!
{Mike, wearing Eleanor like a boss.}
{She wrote that herself, folks.}


The day before we left (maybe it was 2 days before?) the weather was gorgeous and the warmest it had been the whole time we were there. Definitely a beach day.

{Oh, Matt. I can't believe he's in the MTC now.}

{She really wanted to be buried.}


{Right before we all split up to make our own ways home.}

So, my picture record is woefully incomplete. Some of the highlights I didn't get pictures of:

*Mim's reaction to our "hotel house." She was dead tired in the car, but as soon as we got to the room she got her second wind. Eleanor caught it from her and both of them ran (or crawled, in Eleanor's case) around everywhere just squealing and laughing.

* The dinners. Everybody took a turn and it was delicious.

* Our date. We went out one night to the Wayfarer in Canon Beach (which is where we went 5 years ago when we were out there) and it was sooooooo good. And fun (we doubled with Nate and Rach). Mike got to eat a whole crab, which was pretty much his only goal for vacation.

* On the second day of driving out, we stopped for lunch in Baker City. We had stuff for sandwiches and we stopped in a park to have a picnic. As we were finishing, a parade came marching by (a small parade- a band, jugglers, stilts people, clowns, and dancers) which was cool, but then they turned and stopped in the park and played another song and then announced they were a vaudeville troop that had a show that night and they were going to do workshops there for the afternoon. It was super cool. Mike got a few pictures with his phone; maybe I'll get them added to this post some day.



No comments: